With World Cocktail Day taking place this Thursday, 13th May, we thought now was the ideal time to look at some on-trend cocktail ideas that are sure to prove popular this summer at bars and restaurants nationwide.
World Cocktail Day marks the publication date of the first definition of a cocktail on May 13 in 1806, when the New York tabloid The Balance and Columbian Repository rwote that a cocktail is “A stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water and bitters”.
Our first featured cocktail is the Malibu Watermelon Mojito, a fresh twist on a classic.
- 1 part Malibu Watermelon
- ½ part Lime juice
- 2 parts Soda water
- Mint leaves
- Fresh watermelon
- Add watermelon, mint leaves and lime juice into a highball glass.
- Gently muddle and then fill the glass with ice.
- Add Malibu Watermelon and top with soda water.
- Garnish with mint sprig and watermelon wedge.
- ¾ Parts Simple Syrup
- 2 Parts Absolut Watermelon
- 1 ½ Parts Fresh Watermelon or Puree (optional)
- ¾ Parts Lime Juice
- ¼ Parts Orange Liqueur
- Watermelon Slice & Lime Wedge
- Build in tin with ice.
- Shake and strain into rocks glass with a half salt rim.
- Garnish with watermelon slide and lime wedge.
Next up we have the Spicy Watermelon Margarita
- 1 1/3 Part Altos Plata
- 2/3 Part Ancho Reyes Verde
- ½ Part Basil Syrup
- 1 1/2 Part Fresh Watermelon Juice
- 2/3 Part Fresh Lime Juice
- Add ingredients to shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake vigorously.
- Double strain into tumbler with fresh ice.
- Garnish with small watermelon triangle and basil leaf.
- 12 cups Caribbean Reserve for entire batch
- 5 cups of peeled and seeded watermelon chunks
- 8 cups of water
- Add sugar as preferred
- Combine all ingredients in a large jug.
- Portion out to individual glasses (garnish optional).