To claim that the evolution of the point of sale has been “significant” over the years would be a vast understatement. Hardware and software are no longer simply components of processing transactions. A business’s point of sale (POS) platform can singlehandedly transform a guest’s experience; transcending a moderate act of ordering a meal to an overall enjoyable encounter that causes consumers to come back regularly.
In years past, POS terminals were bulky, took up a lot of counter space, and hindered face-to-face interaction between the employee and the guest. Over the years, as technology became more advanced, terminals have developed a sleeker design that take up minimal counter space, but can still withhold the harsh environment of a restaurant.
Utilising a modern, industrial hardware design, combined with the right software, can help business efficiency and customer engagement. Today, restaurants and retailers frequently use conversational selling techniques to help create a more engaging and welcoming experience for their guests.
As customer needs change and technology advances, restaurant operators are continuing to enhance and expand their customer interaction capabilities to adapt to the evolving dining environment. When choosing a POS system, business owners must not overlook the importance of the services needed to deploy and implement the new hardware and software platforms, and also be aware of all that a POS solution can offer to the business. Some key features to consider utilising are:
- Customer Displays - Can simply show the order breakdowns, or a graphical display that allows you to show advertisements, as well as the running order confirmation.
- Customer Loyalty Programs - Features include the ability to store customer data and information, allows businesses to track customer purchases, and reward them with a points system for every item or dollar spent.
- Online Ordering - Online ordering is all about convenience. This feature allows customers to review the menu, place an order, select a time and pickup location, and even pay before walking in the door.
- Reporting - Schedule inventory and sales reports on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, allowing inventory levels to be accessed at any time, with real-time data updates.
- Credit Card Processing & Security – Increase data security by eliminating Payment Application Data Security Standard (PA-DSS) audits by using Point-to-Point encryption for all transactions.
PAR Technology offers complete software, hardware, and service solutions for the full spectrum of restaurant operations, from large chain and independent table service restaurants to International quick service chains, and has been a leading global provider in the industry for nearly 40 years. Our dedicated team members work with customers to customise and configure a flexible package suited to each customer’s specific market tier and business needs.