The Irish Whiskey Association has welcomed the sweeping success of Irish whiskey distilleries, bars and retailers at the World Whiskies Awards.
The awards were held in London on the night of 24th March. The annual global event is organised by Whisky Magazine.
Irish winners include:
- World’s Best Pot Still Whiskey: Teeling Wonder of Wood Single Pot Still, Teeling Distillery, Dublin.
- World’s Best Grain Whiskey: The Whistler Mosaic Marsala Cask, Boann Distillery, Co. Meath.
- World’s Best Master Distiller: Kevin O’Gorman, Master Distiller, Midleton Distillery/Irish Distillers.
- World’s Best Whiskey Visitor Attraction Manager: Ewan Paterson, Visitor Centre Manager, Clonakilty Distillery, Co. Cork.
- World’s Best Whiskey Bar Manager: Padraic Rafter, Paris Texas Bar, Kilkenny City.
- World’s Best Chef (working with whiskey): Jason Nolan, Celtic Whiskey Bar & Larder, Killarney, Co. Kerry.
- World’s Best Travel Retailer (for selling whiskey): The Loop, Aer Rianta International.
- World’s Best Supermarket (for selling whiskey): SuperValu.
The ceremony also awarded the best Irish whiskeys in a range of global taste categories. These winners included: Teeling Distillery; The Whistler/Boann Distillery; Clonakilty Distillery; Pearse Lyons Distillery; and Dunvilles/Echlinville Distillery.
William Lavelle, Director of the Irish Whiskey Association, who attended the awards event as part of an Irish contingent, said: “The sweeping success of Irish whiskey distilleries, bars and retailers confirms Ireland’s re-emergence as one of the world’s leading whiskey-producing nations. I wish to congratulate all the winners who are proudly flying the flag for Irish whiskey.”
Teeling Whiskey, which picked up World’s Best Single Pot Still for its Wonder of Wood Single Pot Still, also picked up World’s Best Irish Brand Ambassador for Rob Caldwell’s work as the company’s Global Brand Ambassador.
Jack Teeling, Founder and Managing Director of Teeling Whiskey, said: “Since reviving our old family trademark of Teeling Whiskey back in 2012, we have endeavoured to make sure every bottle of Irish whiskey is of the highest quality. To be honoured once as the World Best Single Malt back in 2019 felt like a pinnacle of all our efforts. However, being honoured as the World’s Best for the second time, this time for our Dublin distilled Single Pot Still against well-established competitors who have dominated the Single Pot Still category, has proven our new distillery is world class. Dublin and Teeling Whiskey are now right back at the top table of global whiskey and we look forward to continuing to lead this new golden era for Irish whiskey.”