Irish Distillers has donated the records from the Power family’s Oylegate estate to Wexford County Archive.
The Power family chose to settle in Oylegate, Co. Wexford, in 1838, building their family seat at Edermine House. The family were passionate about Irish agriculture and dedicated to improving the lives of those who worked the land, investing in the community by building model houses in the village that are still inhabited today.
During these early years, the Power family provided employment at their John’s Lane Distillery in Dublin City to generations of fishermen working the River Slaney, easing harsh winters for them and their families.
In 1966, the historic John Power & Son distillery amalgamated with two others; John Jameson & Son and the Cork Distilleries Company, to form Irish Distillers which now operates as the Midleton Distillery in Co. Cork. The Edermine Estate papers, comprised of rentals and land sales correspondence, were found among the records of whiskey production at John’s Lane during the cataloguing of the Irish Distillers archives, which are now preserved at Midleton Distillery.
Speaking about the transfer of the papers, Archivist at Wexford County Archive, Gráinne Doran, added: “We are delighted that the Power’s family records are coming home to Wexford. The papers include valuable information that details the history of the Power family’s contribution to life in the county. We have no doubt this material will be a primary source for historians, local and family researchers, and students from primary to third level, for generations to come.”