Tourism Ireland has enlisted the help of German travel vlogger Bjoen Troch to help showcase the Ireland’s Ancient East and Ireland’s Hidden Heartlands regions to international audiences.
Bjorn Troch, aka The Social Traveler, travels around the world undertaking destination challenges, and Ireland is his latest challenge. He has been sharing details of the various challenges, and his adventures here, with his fans and followers. His rules are that he must complete each challenge in one day and he can only seek help from local volunteers and his followers, and he is not allowed to use a guidebook or social media.
His challenges included:
- Recreating a boat scene from Game of Thrones, with the help of volunteers and Boyne Boats, in Co. Meath
- Capturing a photo in front of Clough Oughter Castle, while kayaking on Lough Oughter, in Co. Cavan
- Helping to weave a scarf in McKernan Woollen Mills in Tuamgraney, Co. Clare
- Learning the basics of hurling and Irish dancing with volunteers, in Kilkenny city
- Finding a fort in the Copper Coast Geopark, in Co Waterford
Peter Nash, Tourism Ireland’s Manager, Central Europe, said: “2018 was the best year ever for tourism from Germany to Ireland, when we welcomed around 818,000 German arrivals, up 12.6% on 2017. Tourism Ireland has a programme of promotions under way in Germany again in 2019 to build on that success.”
Germany is the third largest source of visitors to the island of Ireland and one of the largest outbound travel markets in the world.