Fáilte Ireland has announced a series of workshops to take place over the coming months, to help encourage businesses and individuals to get involved in the new Taste the Island – a celebration of Ireland’s food and drink initiative.
The initiative has been developed in response to the growing global interest in food and drink by Fáilte Ireland, in collaboration with Tourism Ireland, Tourism Northern Ireland and a range of stakeholders.
Taste the Island will showcase Ireland’s food and drink culture across the island of Ireland and will run from September to November, to provide visitors with access to authentic food and drink experiences, and high quality local ingredients and produce.
Workshops are currently being rolled out throughout the country to inform the regional businesses about the initiative. A new toolkit guide has also been developed for the workshops.
Martina Kerr Bromley, Fáilte Ireland’s Head of Enterprise Development, said: “The programme of events for Taste the Island will include visits to food producers, distillers and brewers; food trails, food festivals, participation in traditional skills, opportunities to forage, traditional pubs, small-town cafés, restaurants, city bistros and Michelin-starred experiences.”
Tracey Coughlan, Fáilte Ireland’s Food Strategy Manager, commented: “Our research shows that international visitors come to Ireland with low expectations about our food, yet 80% leave pleasantly surprised. Based on this, we have a fantastic opportunity to push out the quality experiences we have across the full food and drink spectrum from producers and brewers to festivals and cafés.”
The full list of workshops is as follows:
- Tuesday 7th May 9.30 – 2pm Donegal Harvey’s Point
- Wednesday 8th May 8.00 – 11am Dublin Croke Park
- Thursday 9th May 9.30 – 2pm Mayo Breaffy House Hotel
- Monday 13th May 9.30 – 2pm Meath Headfort Arms Hotel
- Tuesday 14th May 9.30 – 2pm Limerick The Strand Hotel
- Wednesday 15th May 9.30 – 2pm West Cork Celtic Ross Hotel
- Thursday 16th May 9.30 – 2pm Kerry Great Southern Hotel
- Friday 17th May 10.30 – 3pm Dingle Dingle Benners Hotel
- Monday 20th May 9.30 – 2pm Cork City The River Lee Hotel
- Tuesday 21st May 9.30 – 2pm Waterford Faithlegg Hotel
- Wednesday 22nd May 9.30 – 2pm Kilkenny Newpark Hotel
- Thursday 23rd May 9.30 – 2pm Carlow Woodford Dolmen Hotel
- Tuesday 28th May 9.30 – 2pm Clare Hotel Doolin
- Wednesday 29th May 9.30 – 2pm Sligo Radisson Blu
- Thursday 30th May 9.30 – 2pm Galway The Twelve Hotel
- Thursday June 6th 9.30 – 2pm Carraig-on-Shannon Kilronan Castle, Roscommon
- Tuesday 11th June 9.30 – 2pm Athlone Dead Centre Bewing
- Thursday 13th Jun 9.30 – 2pm Lough Derg The Lakeside Hotel