The full list of towns to receive funding as part of Fáilte Ireland’s Destination Towns initiative has been released, with each location in line for up to €500,000 to develop the local tourism potential.
The funding has been allocated through the Local Authorities as part of the €15.5m Destination Towns initiative launched earlier this year by Fáilte Ireland.
Up to €500,000 per local authority will be allocated in two rounds by Fáilte Ireland to boost the attractiveness and tourism appeal of towns nationwide. The process of identifying the towns that receive funding commenced in mid-2019 and was led by the Local Authorities in consultation with Fáilte Ireland.
Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Brendan Griffin T.D. made the national announcement in Tralee – the town put forward by Kerry County Council for investment. Minister Griffin confirmed that every county in Ireland will benefit and the first round of allocations will take place from January.
Fáilte Ireland’s CEO Paul Kelly said: “The towns which reap the greatest benefits from tourism and schemes like Destination Towns are those where all local tourism players work together – from Local Authorities and businesses to the communities themselves, each complementing another’s efforts to create a full and appealing offering for their area.”
The full list of towns to receive funding between the first and second round allocations are:
- Carlow County Council – Carlow Town
- Cavan County Council – Cavan
- Clare County Council – Ennistymon
- Cork City Council – Cork City
- Cork County Council – Bantry
- Donegal County Council – Bundoran
- Dublin City Council – Dublin Docklands
- Dun Laoghaire – Rathdown – Dun Laoghaire
- Fingal County Council – Skerries
- Galway City Council – Galway City
- Galway County Council – Clifden
- Kerry County Council – Tralee
- Kildare County Council – Kildare Town
- Kilkenny County Council – Kilkenny
- Laois County Council – Portlaoise
- Leitrim County Council – Carrick-on-Shannon
- Limerick City & County Council – Limerick City
- Longford County Council – Longford Town
- Louth County Council – Drogheda
- Mayo County Council – Belmullet
- Meath County Council – Trim
- Monaghan County Council – Monaghan Town
- Offaly County Council – Birr
- Roscommon County Council – Boyle
- South Dublin County Council – Lucan
- Sligo County Council – Enniscrone
- Tipperary County Council – Cashel
- Waterford City & County Council – Waterford City
- Westmeath County Council – Athlone
- Wexford County Council – New Ross
- Wicklow County Council – Wicklow Town
The majority of the funding is being awarded now as part of the first round of allocations. The second round of allocations will take place early in Spring 2020 when further developmental work has concluded with the relevant Local Authorities. The counties that fall under this second funding allocation are Wicklow, Clare, Laois and South Dublin County Council.