The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has stated that 106 enforcement orders were served on food businesses for breaches in food safety legislation in 2015, compared with 113 in 2014, a decrease of 6%.
Between 1st January and 31st December 2015, enforcement officers served 90 closure orders and 16 prohibition orders on food businesses throughout the country. The types of recurring food safety issues which lead to closure orders were: poor cleaning and sanitation of premises; poor personal hygiene; lack of running water; inadequate hand washing facilities; incorrect food storage; lack of or ineffective pest control programme; structural problems arising from lack of ongoing maintenance and; lack of or inadequate food safety management system.
During the month of December 2015, seven closure orders and one prohibition order were served on food businesses for breaches of food safety legislation. Seven of the enforcement orders were issued by environmental health officers in the Health Service Executive (HSE) and one by local authority veterinary inspectors in Limerick County Council.
Three closure orders were served under the FSAI Act, 1998 on:
- Tom Costello (poultry slaughtering), Old Town Hospital, Limerick
- Tasty Bites (restaurant), 281 Hyde Road, Limerick
- Sunrise Indian and European Takeaway, Magheraclogher, Bunbeg, Donegal
Four closure orders were served under the EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations, 2010 on:
- JDs (delicatessen) (closed activity: preparation and sale of hot and cold foods at the deli counter), Unit 2-3, Rathcoole Shopping Mall, Main Street, Rathcoole, County Dublin
- John Doyles (public house) (closed activity: the preparation and service of foods only – service of beverages not affected), 160-1 Phibsborough Road, Phibsborough, Dublin 7
- Dynasty Restaurant, 31 Bridge Street, Skibereen, Cork
- Moonsoon Restaurant, Church Street, Collon, Louth
One prohibition order was served under the EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations, 2010 on:
- Safco Fine Foods Ltd (manufacturer/packer), Unit 4 A, Cookstown Business Centre, Tallaght, Dublin 24
During the month of December, a successful prosecution was carried out by the HSE on Pizza House (restaurant), Bridge Street, Crossmolina, Mayo.