The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has reported that 109 enforcement orders were served on food businesses in 2018, an increase of 58% compared to 2017.
Between 1st January and 31st December 2018, food inspectors served 95 closure orders, 5 improvement orders and 9 prohibition orders on food businesses throughout the country. Recurring violations found while issuing enforcement orders included evidence of rodent infestation and rodent droppings; unsanitary conditions; failure to maintain correct temperatures of foodstuffs; a lack of knowledge of food safety by staff; unsuitable food storage facilities and improper or lack of water facilities for cleaning.
“There are absolutely no excuses for negligent food practices,” said Dr. Pamela Byrne, Chief Executive, FSAI. “The types of reasons cited for enforcement orders are simple errors that should not be happening in any food business. Non-compliance by food businesses will not be tolerated and all breaches of food safety legislation will be dealt with the full extent of the law.”
During the month of December 2018, 9 closure orders, 2 improvement orders and 1 prohibition order were served on food businesses for breaches of food safety legislation. The enforcement orders were issued by environmental health officers in the Health Service Executive (HSE).
Five closure orders were served under the FSAI Act, 1998 on:
- King Kebab (restaurant/café), 10 Sean Costello Street, Irishtown, Athlone, Westmeath
- Officers’ Mess (restaurant/café), Air Corps Headquarters, Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnell, Dublin 22
- Hot Krispy Chicken Ltd (takeaway), Unit 2, Eagle Court, Main Street, Clonee, Meath
- Fu Jing Chinese Takeaway, Collon, Louth
- Our Lady’s Hospital (Closed area: Male Medical Ward Kitchen only), Athboy Road, Navan, Meath
Four olosure Orders were served under the EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations, 2010 on:
- Field’s Bakery (Closed area: Large storeroom to the left of the premises used for storage of food, food contact materials and food contact and equipment), Castletownshend Road, Carrigfadda, Skibbereen, Cork
- Natural Green (food processor), Unit C, Stadium Business Centre, Stadium Business Park, Ballycoolin, Dublin 15
- Mikes Pizza and Pasta (takeaway), Dublin Road, Ballinagh, Cavan
- Asian Wok, 35 O’Growney Street, Athboy, Meath
Two improvement orders were served under the FSAI Act, 1998 on:
- The Silly Goose (public house), 3 Hanover Place, Cork
One prohibition order was served under the FSAI Act, 1998 on:
- U Polaka (retailer), Unit 16–17, Friary Business Park, Naas, Kildare