The inaugural Irish Pub Awards took place on Wednesday 8th November, with The Porter House in Castlebridge winning overall Pub of the Year 2017.
The ceremony took place as part of a gala dinner in the RDS and in total there were nine categories, including Best Music Pub and Best Tourist Pub.
The awards were presented by Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Brendan Griffin T.D., and the winners were selected from over 500 applications in this national awards programme which is jointly presented by the Vintners Federation of Ireland (VFI) and the Licensed Vintners Association (LVA).
The Porter House in Castlebridge is owned by Castlebridge native Myles Doyle and his wife Sharon. The pub, which employs ten staff, completed a major redevelopment in 2015 and although a traditional old style destination, is focused on innovation. The pub has recently introduced a specialised gin menu, local craft beers and a premium whiskey offering.
LVA Chairman John Gleeson, who presented some of the awards on the night, said: “We are very pleased with the success of our first awards programme. There is great value for pubs entering the awards in terms of excellent national and local media coverage along with the in-depth management training our 56 regional winners receive.”
Pat Crotty, VFI President said: “We are delighted that tonight, as an industry we have been able to showcase the best that our Irish Pubs have to offer in terms of creativity, innovation and excellence. The pub offering has changed dramatically in the past decade. Publicans have responded to changing consumer demands and we have seen this tonight in what our pubs are now offering in terms of excellent casual dining, contemporary beers and spirits, tourist attractions and overall entertainment to suit all types of customer.”
The award categories were sponsored by Bank of Ireland Payment Acceptance, Bulmers, Diageo, Heineken, IMRO, Irish Distillers Pernod Ricard, Molson Coors, and Musgrave Marketplace.
The Irish Pub Awards category winners are:
- Pub of the Year 2017 – The Porter House, Castlebridge, Co. Wexford
- Innovative Pub of the Year – The Roadside Tavern, Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare
- Best Music Pub – Matt The Millers, Kilkenny City
- Best Outdoor Space – The Terrace at Dinn Rí, Co. Carlow
- Outstanding Customer Service – The Bog Road, Portlaoise, Co. Laois
- Best Tourist Pub – The Stag’s Head, Dublin
- Pub Personality of the Year – Johnny Quilty – The Goat Bar & Grill, Clonskeagh, Dublin
- Best Local Pub – The Porter House, Castlebridge, Co. Wexford
- Best Food Pub – Mickey Finn’s, Redcross, Co. Wicklow